Sunday, March 11, 2012

Stella's Got Her Groove Back

We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. - Joseph Campbell

Often at times, I believe I am the guru of all planners. I have a planner, various to-do lists and the ambition to succeed at some point. Over the last few days, something happened to me. Yes, planning prevents pitfalls (alliteration at it's best), but this occurrence may adjust the latter.

Full Throttle Thursday was exactly just that. Amy pushed my every limit and I worked out every entity of my body. My smooth, cardio and skeletal muscles were all working overtime. I left the gym feeling successful. I went out to dinner later with Abby, fellow Tough Mudder teammate and inspiration. I ordered the Oatmeal Stout, a favorite of mine and instead of my usual meat and potatoes kind of meal, I ordered the unthinkable. "I'll have the California veggie wrap, no wasabi aioli please."
WHAT?!?!? "Who is this person that ordered a complete vegetarian meal for dinner?"
Well, this person is myself. After the killer workout, I couldn't think about anything else except water and vegetables. Then, to top it off, I couldn't even finish my beer. I had to leave 25% of it in the glass on the counter.

Friday I was training with Amy after school. Upon my arrival to the gym (25 minutes after I left school), I realized my sneakers were at home. I planned as best as I could, but the staple ingredient needed in my recipe for working out was at home on my floor. So we re-scheduled. I thought about just forgetting about working out and giving my muscles a day to rest, but then something came over me. Maybe it was the force, maybe I'm a Jedi. The only thing I could think of was a post from my Reckless Runner friend, Jackie. It was something along the lines of, "something is better than nothing." I was already dressed, I had new music, did my inhaler - I figured, what the hell, I'll do the trail today.

38'36"
3.22 mi
terrain/hills/mud
Last week I had pneumonia,
this week I have persistence. 
It was cold. I was wearing shorts. My nose was running, I was coughing up lovely things and I had the worst side sticker ever. I haven't had a side sticker like that since my first couple of runs last July. I kept moving. When I thought I was going to stop breathing, I slowed down and varied my running. I did lunges in between my running breaks, I ran backwards, sideways, high-knees and even twisting while running. Thanks to my killer "trail mix" and iTunes - this process was made more enjoyable. My performance is also a reason why no one likes to run with me. Bottom Line: Previous Sam would have aborted ship knots ago. The Real Sam Adams kept pushing through the pneumonia, the pain and the pitfalls.

Saturday morning I began by training with Amy. Those 30 minutes, which seemed longer than the 60 on Thursday, were brutal. My body was in pain. While planking, I had to stop half way through and catch my breath. I couldn't decide if this was a mind game or if I really was short of breath. I kept pushing. The medicine ball, the balance ball, high plank, low plank, high plank with weights, burpees, double burpees, leg lifts, bench dips, push-ups, chin-ups, lunges with weights, lunges with weights and hopping, ab extraordinaire reps, knee-ins, leg press 130 pounds and then do that set one more time around. When my workout was over, I was lying on the mat in my downward dog position thinking - holy *%^& - but oh my sweet Lord! My clothes were soaked, my heart was pounding through my chest - I was alive but couldn't feel anything but my short, dry breath on my hand. 

That was the most extreme workout of my entire life. Hands down - the hardest and most vulgar. I will probably feel much worse after the Tough Mudder. Although I was exhausted, I felt accomplished. Yes, my breathing was compromised and I'm working on building my endurance back up, but I didn't give up. When I said I was going to train to do the Tough Mudder, I didn't think I would be as serious as I am about it. I planned on training, but I didn't plan on these little transformations. The beer will have to wait until after the Tough Mudder. There will never be enough fruit and veggies to satisfy my cravings. Plain Greek yogurt (Fage) is my staple. Whey Protein goes into anything possible. My skinny jeans are super snug around my calves. I gained 15 pounds since the beginning of my journey and haven't been happier.

Here's to the next 62 days.  Catch me if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment